Monday, December 3, 2012

Whooo is it?...

Whooo was found perching on stocking number three this morning?...a very chubby owl.
I have had a soft spot for owls for as long as I can remember.  When I was growing up there was an owl who lived in the big tree by our front walk.  Every year new owlets were welcomed to that nest.  Loved that.  Also, owls always remind me of my girl {don't ask why~her love for myth and Athena?...probably}.  At any rate, an advent owl just seemed inevitable. 
This plump little raptor comes from this pattern found over on Craftsy.  I have to say that I fell in love with the look of this guy right away.  He's so perfectly round {so ornament-esque} and he has that great hood with the jaunty curl at the sides~irresistible.  Plus, I was captivated by his cute bobbled belly and the opportunity to learn another crochet stitch. Cluster stitch...I don't know it...must learn it.  That pretty much sealed the deal.  And so Chubby was born {please forgive the fuzzy phone pics}. 
So how are we getting along now that chubs and I have been together for a morning?  Well, I have to say that I'm not over the moon about him.  I'm not quite ready to banish him to back of the tree land, but I'm not in love either.  Although, when the lad exclaimed that he likes this flier best of all the adventists so far and as the day goes on, I find I am warming to this bobbly owl more and more.  I do think that he might be more to my liking in a different colorway~say a solid base with different colors for his face and hood~and maybe in more owlish colors.  The other thing that may be standing in the way of our budding friendship is that this guy took the better part of my day yesterday {that's valuable making territory right about now} and that I was working him on a very tight {think shoulders to ears} gauge.  And okay, and I'm just going to say it.  I love, love the sturdiness of crochet for making this type of wot-not, but knitting, dear, dear knitting, will always be first in my heart.  I'm thinking a little knitted version of this guy, with this oh-so-easy-oh-so-bobbly stitch would be just about perfect. 
That said, I am catching myself giving him appreciative glances as I breeze by and he catches my gaze.  So I'm thinking I might just have to give him another go and crochet another owl and maybe even an owlet or two before all is said and done.  But you probably knew that, didn't you?

bye for now...
~xox~
alison  

No comments:

Post a Comment